**Penn State Learning will close for the holiday break at 3 p.m. on Friday, 11/20, and re-open at 10 a.m. on Monday, 11/30. Drop-in and appointment tutoring will not be available during this time.**
Drop-in tutoring for Spanish, French, and Italian:
6:30-9:30 p.m. in 7 Sparks, Monday through Thursday
Appointments for Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Korean, and Japanese:
use the online form to request a tutor.
Penn State Learning tutors who have performed well in language courses up to the 300-level or beyond are available to meet with small groups and individuals on a drop-in or appointment basis to engage in conversation and to address grammar and composition questions. To make the best use of your tutoring session, be prepared.
- Bring your textbook and other relevant class materials (study guides, syllabus, etc.).
- Bring homework that has already been graded.
- Plan your session. Know which concepts you have trouble with and what you would like to review.
- Keep your expectations reasonable. During busy shifts, tutors may not be able to spend more than 20-30 minutes with you (or, they may group you with other students from your class).
What our tutors cannot do:
- Provide answers for graded homework questions. Getting extensive help with your graded homework compromises academic integrity.
- Proofread or edit graded essays. Graded essays are meant to test your comprehension of the language. Getting the essay edited by someone else compromises academic integrity.
- Ensure that you receive an A on your homework or exam. Your success in the course depends on you.
What our tutors can do:
- Explain and review concepts covered by the homework.
- Provide examples similar to homework questions to help you learn principles and vocabulary.
- Help you correct homework that has already been graded.
- Read part of your essay to help you identify your weak areas.
- Provide examples to strengthen your understanding so that you can more easily find your errors and correct them on your own.
- Help you practice pronunciation and new vocabulary.
- Help you learn how to best use your textbook and other resources.
Cocurricular Programs Coordinator
Language and Writing Communities
Penn State Learning
Office Address: 206 Boucke Building
Phone: (814) 865-0259