Intercollege Minor in Civic and Community Engagement
Instituted in 2004, the Intercollege Minor in Civic and Community Engagement (CIVCOM) is now offered at seven campuses: University Park, Brandywine, Erie, Schuylkill, Greater Allegheny, Beaver, and Lehigh Valley. The minor allows Penn State students to integrate academic and creative discovery with their interest in serving the public good through the diffusion of their work as scholars, artists, and artisans into communities beyond the classroom.
Based upon public scholarship theory and practice, the 18-credit minor distinguishes between ethical volunteerism and the complexity of learning and practicing democracy. Through courses, labs, and studios, community field work, and a capstone project, students integrate their scholarship and creativity with democratic principles of contribution to others. While the minor is an excellent conduit to careers in public service, public policy, government, the non-profit and advocacy sectors, social activism, and education, it also increases student awareness of public consequence and public accountability in intended careers in their disciplines.
Students seeking further information and/or wishing to declare the CIVCOM minor should contact their campus CIVCOM representative listed below:
At University Park:
- Dr. Tanya Furman, Assistant Vice President & Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education - email@example.com
At Penn State Brandywine:
- Dr. Pauline Guerin, Coordinator of the CIVCOM Minor - firstname.lastname@example.org
At Penn State Erie:
- Dr. Dawn Blasko (Psychology) - email@example.com
At Penn State Schuylkill:
- Dr. Elinor Madigan (Information, Sciences, and Technology) - firstname.lastname@example.org
At Penn State Greater Allegheny:
- Dr. Michael Vicaro (Communications) - email@example.com
At Penn State Beaver:
- Dr. JoAnn Chirico (Sociology) - firstname.lastname@example.org
At Penn State Lehigh Valley:
- Dr. Mary Hutchinson (ESL Education) - email@example.com
Campuses interested in offering the minor should contact Dr. Tanya Furman, Assistant Vice President & Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.